Commercial turkey farming is a profitable business idea. Turkey grows faster like broiler chickens and become suitable for marketing purpose within a very short time.
Turkey farming for meat production is more popular than egg production from turkey. Although some people keep a or several toms (a mature male turkey) as pet.
Caring and other management for turkeys is just like many other common poultry birds. But the main difference is the size of turkeys. They are relatively larger poultry birds.
Today, commercial turkey farming is a very popular business. And it’s popularity is increasing gradually. So, it can be a good business for you for making profits.
Commercial turkey farming is even gaining popularity in many Asian countries. And it can be a good business for the beginner poultry farmers.
Table of Contents
- Advantages/Benefits of Turkey Farming Business
- How to Start Turkey Farming Business
Advantages/Benefits Of Turkey Farming Business
Commercial turkey farming business has many advantages. That’s why many new and existing poultry farmers are planning to start this business.
Many people are trying to start this business for making profits. Here we are trying to describe more about the top advantages of turkey farming business.
- Commercial turkey farming is a very profitable business. And you can take this opportunity for making profits.
- Raising turkeys is relatively easy. It’s just like raising other poultry birds such as chickens, ducks etc.
- It’s not a new business, and many people are already doing this business. So, you don’t have to worry much about this business.
- If you have backyard or vacant land, then you can start this business easily for utilising your space.
- Commercial production is very profitable, and it has high return of investment ratio.
- You will get your invested money back within a short period of time.
- Caring the turkey birds is relatively easy, so you will probably be able to raise these birds even if you are a beginner.
- Turkeys are just like other domestic poultry birds. And you don’t need to have any license for raising turkeys.
- Turkey products, especially meat is very popular throughout the world. So, you don’t have to worry much about marketing your products.
- Commercial turkey farming is a good and profitable business. So, it can be a good business for the educated but unemployed young people.
- You can also start a small scale production and utilize your family labor.
- You can apply for bank loan if you want to start in large scale.
- Turkey meat and eggs are very nutritious. And you can enjoy fresh eggs or meat if you start your own turkey farming business.
How To Start Turkey Farming Business
It’s really very easy to start commercial turkey farming business. Here we are trying to describe more information for starting commercial turkey farming business.
First of all, we will recommend you to learn practically about this business from any existing turkey farms. You can also complete short training about raising turkeys.
Select A Good Location
Selecting a good location is very important for commercial turkey farming business. You can also use your existing land if it fulfill the following criteria.
- Try to select the land far from residential areas.
- Ensure good water source.
- Ensure the availability of electricity.
- Good transportation system is a must.
- Try to select a calm and pollution free place.
Choose Turkey Breeds
There are several turkey breeds available around the globe. But all those breeds are not suitable enough for commercial meat production.
You can raise only a few of these breeds in your farm for profitable meat production purpose. For profitable meat production you have to use some modern turkey breeds that are raised for commercial meat production.
This type of turkey breeds has a maximum feed to meat conversion rate. They consume less feed and convert the feeds to meat within a very short time.
Broad-breasted White is such a modern turkey breed for commercial production. The meat produced by raising this breed on pasture on a small farm, will be more tasty and flavorful than the meat produced from commercial farm.
Broad-Breasted Bronze and Whites are just non-standardized commercial strain used for meat production (they are not actual breed).
For commercial meat production, you should go with Broad-Breasted Whites, Standard Bronze and White, White Hollands etc.
Housing & Fencing
Good housing with all types of essential facilities available is very necessary for commercial turkey production. In this regard, you have to make a permanent house like chicken house and ensure availability of all necessary facilities.
For fencing, make the fence as high as possible. Turkeys are large in size and become very strong. So, the fencing must have to strong enough to protect these birds.
You can use electric poultry netting, woven wire fencing, metal T-posts or wooden posts. However, keep in mind the following criteria while making housing and fencing for turkeys, .
- You must have to ensure proper protection from all types of predators and harmful animals.
- Ensure availability of sufficient space inside the house. Generally, 75 feet * 75 feet space is suitable for accommodating for up to 12 birds.
- Never let the turkeys to graze in the pasture until they reach grazing age.
- Using wooden litter is very effective for turkey farming.
- Make sure sufficient flow of fresh air and light inside the house.
- Make proper ventilation system.
- Make the house suitable enough for cleaning it regularly.
- In case of fencing, make it as high as possible. The fencing must have to be at least four feet above the ground.
- The turkeys are very strong and bigger in size than other poultry birds. So, make the fencing with strong materials.
Feeding & Watering
Good and nutritious food keeps the bird healthy and productive. So, it will be better if you learn how to feed the turkey birds (and this will help you to prevent problems in turkey farming and reducing feeding costs).
Turkey birds need more protein in their food for first few weeks than other domestic birds. The protein in turkey feed should be at least 28 percent.
You can go with chick starter which contain about 28 percent of protein. Feed the turkey, chick starter for first six weeks and after that period you can feed them grower feed.
Grower feed should contain about 20 percent protein. The amount of protein in turkey feed is higher than chickens or other poultry bird’s feed.
Along with providing nutritious food, always try to serve them sufficient amount of fresh and clean water. Generally, 2 gallons of fresh water is necessary for one dozen of turkey birds.
Care & Management
Always try to keep your birds in healthy environment and learn more about turkey farming and how to prevent health problems.
Never feed your birds contaminated or outdated food. Always provide them clean and fresh water. Keep sufficient space inside the house. And lastly, take good care of your birds.
Turkeys are relatively strong birds. They generally get affected by diseases or other health problems less than other poultry birds. Learn more about turkey diseases.
In commercial turkey farming, the birds become suitable for marketing within 12 to 20 weeks. Marketing turkey products is very easy. Because these products have very good demand and value in the market. Hope you will be able to easily sell your products.
These are the common steps and ways for starting and operating a successful turkey farming business. It’s really very easy and the beginners can also start raising them. Hope this guide has helped you! Good luck & may God bless you!
You May Also Read
- 9 Tested Ways to Monetize Your Blog Contents
- How to build a Brand for a New Business and Mistakes to Avoid
- Ways to Create Wealth Online for Students and Teens
- How To Boost Your Fertility With Scent Leaf
- How to Start a Poultry Farming Business in USA Australia Canada
- Careers in Agriculture and how to start any from Scratch
- 7 Winning Strategies for Trading Binary Options
- Grass cutter Farming: How to Start a Profitable Grass cutter farm for Beginners